4/25/2011

Celebrating Easter and few recipes.

First of all, Happy Easter everyone!
Hope everyone had a good time with your family's and/or friends. As long as you weren't alone today and had good time. Today I celebrated Easter with family's family. They aren't my relatives, they're my employee. They invited me and I decided to join them for celebration, especially, since I don't like spending holidays alone.
Maybe it was a mistake. I didn't enjoyed myself as much as I was hoping and I felt like.. like out of place. Anyways, I can't say, I had a blast or that I had a wonderful time (no complaining though) but at least I had a chance to enjoy wonderful weather (sun and 78F/25C) and my own made Easter food.
I guess the weird part about this whole situation was that I'm a vegan and everyone else, at the party today, are true meat lovers. So, every time, when they offered me something to eat (I guess they felt bad that the only thing I could eat was what I made yesterday), I asked certain questions, such as, does it has cheese in it (yeah, Italians LOVE cheese, lol) and has it been made using butter or milk. Most cases, actually, everything, even "just steamed" vegetables were covered with dairy products. Off-topic for me. And, they gave me these weird looks, like, you know, when you decide to go on a diet and everyone is starting at you because only thing you're allowed to eat is salad or something like that. Honestly, I don't car what those people think, because I probably won't see them again. Ever. So, who cares, right? But, the feeling was weird. I felt judged only because of my belief in being a vegan. Well, at least, no one was asking me those annoying questions, like, why are you vegan? How can you possibly say no to meat, cheese, milk, etc. It's funny though. But annoying at the same time.
Anyways, my Sunday was alright. Hopefully, next weekend will be much much better. I mean, it HAS to be much better. I have huge plans regarding next weekend, so... will see how that is going to turn out.

So, one of foods I made was Mexican Lasagna which I found on this blog.
Honestly, I loved it, even though, after I put it in the oven, I realized that I have forgot to add all of the spices. Funny, huh? But it was good, really!

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients:
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
12 corn tortillas
3 cups fat-free refried beans
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
3 cups black beans
1 cup salsa
1 can enchilada sauce
sliced black olives
2 cups yellow corn (optional)

Process:
Heat the oven at 375F. In a large skilled sauté peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onion for about 3 min until soft and set aside. In a 9x13 inch baking pan (sprayed with cooking spray) line the first layer of tortillas. Then put beans, the mix (pepper), corn, salsa, then again, tortillas, beans, the mix, corn and at the end pour enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle it with sliced olives. Cook for about 30 min and let it cool for at least 10 min (for easier cutting).


Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional info: 397.3 calories, 10.6 g fat, 63.5 g carbohydrates, 14.8 g protein.
Hope you'll like it as much as I did!

Next recipe is apple tart/pie.

Ingredients:
Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup cane sugar (I made it without sugar and it tasted too plain but it depends on your taste buds)
Filling:
6 granny smith apples, sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour

Process:
First, make the crust, adding all the ingredients together and then make a dough by batter it. Heat the oven at 375F. Spray the pie pan with cooking spray and spread the dough evenly in the pan. Mix all ingredients together for the filling and arrange apples in the pan. Place pie pan in the oven for about 50 min or until the crust is slightly brown.
After taking the pie out of the oven, sprinkle it with 1/2 cinnamon mixed with 2 tsp sugar.


Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional info: 392 calories, 19.1 g fat, 54.2 g carbohydrate, 3.4 g protein.
Enjoy!

Love,
Heidi

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru